Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Thanks to the Stones.



Recently watched this movie again. It was just on the tube, and convenient. Really the movie came to me, I don't think I even had a choice. Something knew I needed it. Or maybe I'm giving the universe too much credit -- maybe I just knew I needed it.

It's not even Christmastime.

What I love about this movie is how everything is lovable. And this is exactly the thing that makes me want to have babies. Honestly, I could probably do without the little outfits, the stupid toys, the crying and pooping and feeding. What I really want is the over-achiever subconciously trying to clear the clouds with an uptight girlfriend, the martyring mother of a daughter, the young confused pretty spitfire, the son that goes off to get high with his dad and transparently teddy-bears his way into everyone's hearts, and the gay son in a mixed-race marriage. That's family. I mean, that's really family. That's exactly the picture of what I want to be -- the matriarch of diversity -- able to love each one freely and equally. Now that I'm married, and the possibilty of family moves closer and closer, I start dreading the next 15 years -- but this is what I'm really looking forward to.

I'm sure at some point along the way Mother Nature will give me the maternal juice that allows a woman to cherish the baby years. I certainly hope so. But for the meantime, The Family Stone is my fantasy. Someone pass me a crisp white collared shirt, please.

No comments: