Monday, October 29, 2007

My Darling Charlie


My favorite animal ever passed away this weekend. Charlie was 5 1/2. He found some anti-freeze, and in typical Charlie fashion helped himself. Symptoms didn't present for several days, and you have to start treatment for anti-freeze within 5-10 hours. Blood tests identified kidney failure on Friday, and we put him to sleep on Saturday.

This post comes at a time when I feel kind of distant and clinical about the experience, but everything comes and goes. I will post more thoughts about it (and believe me, they exist in intense abundance) later this week.

For now, though, I thought I would share this video with you. I got to spend about an hour with him at the vet on Friday, and I'm so thankful for that time. Everything is raw -- completely unedited. I just plopped it into moviemaker and left it uncut, so it's rather rough. But I love it. I love it just because it actually contains some of my favorite simple things about having Charlie in my life -- the feel of his ears, the color of his coat, his puppy habit of curling up between my legs, the musculature of his body (I know, I'm sounding weird), and how he just couldn't help wagging his tail -- even when he had such little energy. I dearly, dearly loved that dog. And I think he dearly loved me back.



3 comments:

Cat Szalkowski said...

Oh, Beth...this is beautiful

Unknown said...

Beth, I'm so sorry to hear about Charlie. Just watching your video brought tears to my eyes. It so funny how this little animal can bring so many emotions in to your heart. I'm sorry for your loss! Amy

Unknown said...

We have just become dog-owners, but we understand what a loyal friend you have lost.
I think Lin tried to post here but failed.
XOXO -- Diana