Thursday, February 19, 2009

Melting Meters

Just a few weeks ago, I had a pining for some poetry. A quest to find a giant book of lilting meters came up with the Random House Book of Poetry for Children. In this blogger's humble opinion, this book should be a staple in every child's home. I love reading it to Hazel at bedtime. I think it's great for her to understand how melodic and beautiful words can be, and every once in awhile I stumble on one that absolutely melts me.

Two People

She reads the paper,
while he turns on TV;
she likes the mountains,
he craves the sea.

He'd rather drive
she'll take the plane;
he waits for sunshine;
she walks in the rain.

He gulps down cold drinks,
she sips at hot;
he asks, "Why go?"
She asks, "Why not?"

In just about everything
they disagree,
but they love one another
and they both love me.

Eve Merriam

I hope from the innermost part of me that when Hazel is older, she will identify with this poem in the same warm way I do.

1 comment:

The Harper Family said...

I read this out loud to Ian and we both LOVE it. :)