Friday, January 16, 2009

Daisy-o-Daisy

Thought I would blog about another baby today. This is DAISY.
For you regular bluebird readers you may remember her from a posting last fall. Tory brought her home as a pup about a week before we had Hazel. I kind of think of her as "the other woman"... I've never really been a Daisy fan. I couldn't object, because since I've known Tory, I've invited 4 cats & 3 dogs into our lives without consulting him about it at all. So when he finally wanted "his own" dog, I couldn't really say no -- even though I was about to birth a child.

You may remember Charlie, the chocolate love of my life that passed away right after we got married in 07. Part of the reason I haven't liked Daisy is that I feel like she's supposed to be a replacement for him, and that just makes me want to vomit. Like that's even remotely possible. Tory says I've idolized Charlie after death, and I'm sure that's partly true. But he really was amazing, and he was mine. (And that has a lot of value when everything suddenly becomes "ours"...)

I got Charlie at a time in my life when I was available to spend a lot of time with him and train him. That, combined with getting to run off a ton of energy at the farm with Tory everyday, made for a very well behaved dog. And he just knew me in such a wonderful way. I loved being known. He was also what I believe to be the most attractive dog ever. When someone says "dog" I have always, and still do picture a brown, block-headed, short-coated dog. Just plain and strong and beautifully brown. I've never really cared for multi-colored or long haired breeds. Ick.

When Velda went into heat last year (she's the yellow lab below), Tory tried to mate her with Bear (a very regal and strong chow mix from the Olathe farm). I probably would have welcomed this offspring, even though their coats would have been a bit long. But when the pups came out, it was clear that the little bitch whored around a little before Bear got to her. Because all the pups were obviously Pablo's (the black dog below).

Pablo has a lot of fans out there (most of Tory's family loves him), but I have NEVER been one. The dog just bugs me. He jumps like crazy, which I think is completely unacceptable. And he just has this funny energy about him... I don't know. He doesn't know how to mind, and I just don't get the appeal on any level. I will say the dog can run fast. Probably even faster than Charlie (that statement shows I have retained some degree of objectivity). But he's so hairy and jumpy and just ... ick. So there's another strike against Daisy.
By the time I shell out love to Hazel, and to Nelson (the scruffy pup above), and to Chin (my cat), there's just hardly any left for Daisy. And I didn't even mention Tory in that list -- he needs love to. And what about myself? Always passed over these days. Daisy is a puppy -- into everything and lots of energy. She's just challenging for me to love. Really challenging.
But I have realized this past week that she is the dog that Hazel will grow up with. I mean, there's Nelson too, but he's a terrier and not much of a cuddle-bug. There is a chance that Hazel & Daisy could develop a beautiful relationship of knowing and being known. So I've decided I need to invest some of myself in this dog for that very possibility. She does have a sweet heart, I can tell that already, she just needs "rules, boundaries, and limitations" as Cesar Milan would say. I can't have my Charlie back, but there's a chance Hazel could have a shot at the same kind of love, so here goes.

Daisy, come here honey. Let's spend 30 minutes trying to teach you how to hold still.

No comments: