Sunday, January 11, 2009

More Onesies for New Babies of Old Friends

Today Hazel went to one of her first & finest girl parties. Our dear friend Becca (www.wirkenphoto.com) is expecting a little girl, and Hazel & I have been so excited! Well, ok, Hazel doesn't realize it yet, but give her a few years & I think she'll be great pals with the little Spears just like I am with Mama Spears. I don't have any pics of the party, my hands were busy enough with baby & the most delectable pastries you've ever seen. Becca rented out Natasha's Mulberry & Mott down at Mission Farms for a Marie Antoinette Tea Party themed baby shower. It was a beautiful party, and Hazel & I were so happy to go.
Over the summer I copied my mother's hobby and started embroidering. I really love it. I haven't had a creative outlet for quite awhile, so it was nice to experience that again. (I was crazy craft girl in high school...) I made quite a few onesies for Hazel that turned out really well. (I posted pictures of those last fall.) Here are the two I made for Becca's little darling.



I'm never sure whether it's appropriate to complement your own handiwork, but I'll go ahead this time and just say that I LOVE this owl. I was so proud of it. It was actually kind of complicated & took me longer than any I've made so far (which is only like 7, but still). You can't see in this picture, but the branch wraps around the side. I used several different types of stitching to hopefully give the lines different textures, and I used several different colors of thread in the eyes to give it a little more dimension. There isn't a lot out there right now on interesting embroidery technique, so I'm kind of making stuff up as I go. Anyway, I love it, and I think Becca does too.

No comments: