Saturday, November 29, 2008

One Month Old!

Here are a few pics taken on Hazel's one month birthday (Nov. 17th).






If you've never met my husband, here's a spot-on likeness (above). She looks like him quite a bit with her face relaxed, but when she starts yawning or grimacing you'd better watch out -- the likeness gets pretty freaky. Although, I will say that she is looking more & more like my baby pictures.

The first month flew by. I remember my newly-momed sister saying a few months ago, "the days are long, but the years are short" and I can certainly see after just a month how true that statement may become. Seems like just yesterday she was in my belly, though it seemed like she was in there for years.

She's grown from 7lbs 2oz to 9lbs 8oz, which is still smaller than the 9lbs 12oz I was when I was born. People still stop me and comment on how small she is, but she seems huge to me now. I've already had to put some outfits away because she's outgrown them. She's a wiry little booger and moves when gusto when she wants to. Her neck is pretty strong already.

The first month included her first real smile, sucking her thumb, her first trip out of town, her first cold, and many other firsts. My favorite sound she makes is when she inhales like she's going to sneeze, but then doesn't, and exhales with the sweetest little sigh-song you've ever heard. Most of the time when she smiles, she only does a coy half-smile bit, but every once in awhile her whole face will explode into a huge grin.

I've heard some babies aren't much on cuddling, but this one is a die-hard cuddle bug. She loves to be close & warm. Baths are getting more & more efficient, and as long as I keep her from getting cold she's happy. Loves it best when I get the shower head going really warm & just make it rain on her. We're getting into somewhat of a routine, but it's easily derailed by errands or bouts of serious gas.

She's started "playing" more -- looking at toys or her mobile. She's becoming a pro at tummy-time & sitting up in her bumbo chair. She loves to just look around at things, so we walk through the house & look, and I wear her when I cook dinner so she can watch. There is a mirror right by her changing pad, and she loves to look at herself when I change her. It's taken me a few weeks to even start figuring out her different cries, but I think I've started understanding them more.

I feel like I should have gone to school for this -- like every mom should have to go through a course before conceiving. Seems like there is so much to know, and a lot of times I feel very underqualified about the technical stuff. But I do know one thing -- I love her the most & she loves me the most. And that's a wonderful, wonderful feeling.

No comments: