Monday, November 3, 2008

Weston Bend State Park

Yesterday (Sunday) we decided to head up to Weston Bend State Park. For those of you that haven't been there, and that live in KC, you MUST go! It's just wonderful this time of year. It's about a 45 minute drive north of the city, and well worth it. The weekend before Hazel came, we made it up to Weston Red Barn Farm, which is also a delectable place. Usually we hike the beautiful bluff trail, but this time we kept it simple with the river trail since we had Hazel. We got to break in her new stroller though, the Bob, and boy... that's a nice piece of equipment! She loves it.
We got a little too far away from the car, though, and it was time to eat. No benches or privacy or anything, so I just had to sit on the side of the trail and nurse her. Would have been just fine, except there were ladybugs everywhere so I was busy trying to keep us from getting buggered. This is me puzzled & trying to figure out how I'm going to make it work...
Two years ago, around this same time (the last weekend in October), we took a trip up to WBSP. It was a fun camping weekend for us, that ended in Tory asking me to marry him on his childhood walnut tree farm in Oak Grove, MO. While I do love our little Hazelnut companion we took this time, I can't help but also remember another anniversary and miss our Chocolate companion as well.

Last year, also on the last weekend in October, we suddenly & unexpectedly lost our dog (and my heart) Charlie. He was just the absolute best, and I still miss him deeply. I wish that he would have gotten to meet Hazel, and that Hazel would have gotten to grow up with him. And selfishly, I just miss him for myself as well. He always knew me unlike anyone (thing) else. He is buried at the Oak Grove farm, not far from where Tory proposed.

1 comment:

Lemonade on a Sunny Day said...

Hey Beth,
I'm sure Charlie would've loooved Hazel and Hazel would've loved Charlie. I remember when you brought Charlie to meet the family and he was only a little puppy, I loved him. Im so happy for you and Tory Hazel is going to turn into a beautiful young girl. Love you guys xoxo.